Wednesday, March 27

Black Weirdo of the Week 8: Terence Nance


Name:
 Terence Nance 
 
From:
Dallas, TX - Living in Bed-Stuy Brooklyn

Mini Bio: 
I was born in Dallas and became an artist, mostly because everyone in my family is/was. I moved to NY in 2005 for art school and started making films, music videos, and music with my brothers who also moved here for school.  I just finished my first feature film / album called An Oversimplification of Her Beauty, It premiered at Sundance last year and will be in theaters and record stores in April of 2013.

What is your craft/career/creative expression? 
I'm an artist and I make films, music, and performance mostly about love. I'm also committed to making very bold films / performances about some of the issues that are affecting my community so I'm working on some pieces right now about, Colorism, Capitalism, Misogyny, and Sexual Violence 
committed against Women and Girls.

How long have you been working at your craft? 
I'd say 7 years seriously.
 
Why do you consider yourself a Black Weirdo? 
 I come from and operate within the vast and infinite Universe that is Blackness and a wise and beautiful goddess I used to date once told me that the first word in the definition of "Weird" in the 
O.E.D. is "Magical" and Art-Making is nothing if not Magic.
 
Links/Social Media: 
Website: terencenance.com
Blog: terenceetc.tumblr.com
Instagram: @terenceetc
Twitter: @terencenance
FB: www.facebook.com/loveterence
 
Upcoming events/ projects?
Music Videos for Cody ChesnuTT and Melissa Laveaux as well as a documentary on skin lightening called So Young So Pretty So White and a feature narrative called The Lobbyists.
An Oversimplification Of  Her Beauty is now available for viewing on 
Netflix and is coming to theaters April 26th.
 
Why We Love Terence Nance:

Terence is a wonderful artist. He is an active ally and a cutie pie. His smile lights up the room.
His film An Oversimplification Of Her Beauty completely changed the way 
we viewed art. We respect his eye and vision.